Keep Birds & Other Animals Out of Your Chimney
Your chimney can become a home for birds and other animals, especially during the offseason like spring and summer. However, you can keep your chimney animal-free by installing a chimney cap, that’s the surefire way to keep the unwanted house guests out. It’s important to have a cap custom made to match your chimney. We will measure your chimney and send the dimensions to our local supplier who will then create a cap to fit your needs.
Chimney caps are used to cover the tops of brick or stone chimneys. Caps can be used on both masonry and prefabricated chimneys, they usually have a mesh screening on the sides, and the holes in the mesh are small enough to keep the animals out. The chimney caps that Valley Chimney installs are made of vinyl-coated sheet metal, but we also install caps made of stainless steel or copper.
The unwanted chimney guests can range from birds and raccoons to bats and squirrels. Our Valley Chimney team can inspect and remove any animals with annual chimney inspections and cleanings to extend the life of your chimney. We’ll perform an inspection or cleaning of your chimney to ensure it’s in the best working condition.
We have a detailed checklist that our team follows on every inspection:
- If you’re sure something seems different or anything is wrong, we will take a look at your fireplace or chimney to find the solution.
- We will look for signs of deterioration, cracking, weathering, or damage by inspecting the structure of your fireplace, both internally and externally.
- Ensure that the chimney damper properly opens and closes every time.
- We will check that the chimney cap and flashing are fitted to the chimney properly, to avoid future water leaks, the habitation of any animals, or debris entering.
- Before we leave, we will ensure that any items that are combustible are at least 18 inches away from your fireplace. Items to keep away from your fireplace are curtains, furniture, decorations, etc.
- We will teach you how to properly clean and care for your fireplace and chimney in between annual chimney sweeps. We will educate you on the following proper ash removal, what types of firewood to burn, signs to look out for, etc.
Schedule your annual inspection with Valley Chimney Sweep and Restoration today!Back To Blog