Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas that is also toxic. Too much carbon monoxide in your blood will kill you and low-level exposure to this gas can have serious long term effects on your health, especially to children and pregnant mothers.
In most homes, carbon monoxide poisoning stems primarily from home heating systems, the same systems that have been used safely for years. There are a few reasons for this:
The first step in carbon monoxide poisoning prevention is your annual chimney inspection. Your chimney sweep will do an inspection of the venting of your furnace and heating appliances and advise if something seems amiss.
Carbon monoxide detectors are your next level of prevention. Don’t ignore them. If they go off, clear the house, get fresh air and figure out why the alarm went off. If you can’t determine the source of the gas that triggered the alarm, call in your chimney company to inspect the property.
Yes, Valley Chimney can inspect your residential or commercial building and investigate the source of the carbon monoxide.
In the United States, numerous agencies and organizations now recognize the importance of annual heating system inspections and maintenance in preventing carbon monoxide poisoning. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the National Fire Protection Association, and the American Lung Association, are some of the organizations that now encourage the regular maintenance of home heating systems and their chimneys in order to keep “the silent killer” at bay.